Wednesday, December 11, 2013

i straightened my crown and walked away like a boss

it's that time of year again where i need to sit and ponder my goals and intentions for 2014.  spilling my big dreams from my head into the world to let them co-mingle and devise a way to make them happen.  the universe is good that way.  it listens, when you speak.



“The breezes at dawn have secrets to tell you
Don't go back to sleep!
You must ask for what you really want.
Don't go back to sleep!
People are going back and forth 
across the doorsill where the two worlds touch,
The door is round and open
Don't go back to sleep!”

----- Rumi

i am inviting the following

a working studio (in progress)
work BIG, like really BIG in that new working studio
getting messy on a regular basis
creating a body of work
back to gallery hopping
introducing / exposing / rise / show / myself and my work to the toronto art world
take more risks
MORE travel (Italy, and Paris in particular)
moving beyond the fear and doing it anyway
freedom to make mistakes, and then make a few more, until you get it right
dedicate a day / evenings of the week to create that body of work
dedicate more time for family fun - more laughter, more joy, more ease
less computer time, more doing (reading, playing, walking, dancing, daydreaming, being still, frolicking)
more photography - back to taking my camera everywhere
less soda, less coffee, more juicing
NO MORE NAIL BITING

my one little word for 2014

these words kept coming to me:  develop, materialize, rise, show, surface, flow, become visible, become apparent, come forth, come on the scene, make appearance.

but none of them felt particularly right until this word came to me EMERGE, 'coming forth from a place shut off from view, or from concealment'.  

and here i bid 2013 adieu

Dear 2013, you literally kicked my ass from the get-go.  You you were a very difficult year both personally and professionally.  You were the year my mother died.  You were also the year my Samson died (the same month after my mother).  And the same year that saw many changes at work, with new bosses, and a new location.  Nothing was the same..  It was hard to process it all. It was the year I learned that I was strong even through the tears.  That I could move past the sadness and find beauty.  That all that is gone is not ever lost.  It was the first year of my life without a living parent.  And the first time in 12 years without a dog in our home.  I'm still adjusting to their absence, but 2013, the sadness no longer overwhelms me like a tsunami, but more like gentle waves that come and go.


Thanks 2013 for it taught me how to walk away like a boss.







1 comment:

Ophelia said...

Your post today is so very inspiring and truly speaks to me as we have invited similar things for the new year.
Wishing you such success with all of these!!