Friday, October 25, 2013

misty scott and milt, oh my

remember my one little word of intention for the year:  forward.  well, yes, i'm moving forward in many fronts.  and it's feeling really good.  there was a time, when forward was too fast... making my head spin. but these days forward is feeling really good.

so much to tell you:

september 2013, random arts with misty mawn
i started off my adventure driving to virginia with my family.  misty invited me to stay at her place before driving up to north carolina.  my family dropped me off and i had a wonderful visit with her and her very sweet family.  i got to throw some clay on her potting wheel, in her potting studio, and got a tour of her painting studio (oh my), it was such a thrill for me.  she's like a superstar in my world, so you can imagine how excited i was. we then drove to north carolina (6 hr drive), and i nearly puked in her car... what a nightmare, i was so embarassed, but she stopped on the side of the road just in time for me to stick my head out the window to upchuck into the ditch.  ugh.  car sickness.  too much driving.  but we then finally made it to phyllis' house where we spent the rest of the weekend.  random arts is exactly as it looks like on their website.  small, cute and intimate.  the class was so much fun, and phyllis, our host was super gracious (as were husband bob and furry baby daisy).  all in all it was a brilliant trip one i'm glad i took.

see i told ya it looks exactly like it does on the website


me, misty, phyllis, kate

miss ruby getting into mischief in mistys painting studio

working large, on the floor


the ever ms gracious phyllis

october 2013, oil painting fundamentals, at OCAD with scott sawtell
my second OCAD painting class.  thrilled to be spending time in the studio painting for a full three hours of uninterrupted time.  nothing makes me feel more alive than when in the studio. i'm infatuated with painting with oils and am determined to start using it more and more in my paintings.

painting studio, oil painting
in the painting studio at OCAD, with our mannequins as models

self portrait, ocad, oil painting
this was my version of our monochromatic oil painting

and last but not least

march 2014, figurative painting, at scottsdale artists' school (scottsdale, arizona), with milt kobayashi
OMG.  i'm terrifed of this class.  it's for intermediate/advanced artists, which i don't yet consider myself, but i'm taking it anyway.  i love the way this man paints.  big patches of colour, tone on tone, bright lights.  i was instantly and immediately in love with his work the minute i laid eyes on it.  so happy i ran into his work.  so, yes, i better brush up on my oil painting skills so i can kick some ass in this class.


oil painting, portrait, scottsdale artist school,
milt kobayashi


oil painting, portrait, scottsdale artist school
milt kobayashi
so, moving forward, above and beyond my wildest dreams.  dreams really do come true.

xox

1 comment:

Patricia said...

Cannot wait to see how he influences your work!