Saturday, April 9, 2011

on being brave

you know when you've just finished a piece and you're so excited about sharing it but it's late at night and taking pictures of your piece just isn't optimal so you wait for the next day so you can take shots in the mornings natural light...  but then you look at your piece, and you sit and look at it standing still for a few mintues, with your finger on your lips, soaking in the details of your work, and how you think, hmmm, i didn't see that last night, if i just add this, or change that, and then you grab your brushes, and paints and add more layers and wonderfulness, until you put it away again to realize, you'll sleep on it and take another fresh look in the morning, and when you do you say, hmm, good, but not yet done, and again you grab your brushes and paints and intend to add just a few little details and layers, and all of a sudden, inspired by a spark, you change it up again and add new elements to just make it that much better.

(how's that for one long run on sentence!)

well.

that. exactly. what. happened. to. me. with. these. two. pieces.

piece #1





and piece #2




and that's why i love my oils. 

just when i think i'm done, i get the urge to go on. and i can because the oils allow for slow drying time and i can start where i left off.  and i'm in love with that because i love to give my pieces time to rest, and look at them with fresh eyes in the morning.  my mind likes to process ideas so the rest times allow me to dream and germinate new ideas. 

when i close my eyes after painting at night, i still have in my minds eye, brush strokes and a vision of how i want to create or have my finished piece look.  is it unusual that you dream of how you want to paint, and imagine how you want your piece to look?  am i just crazy?  or do most artists do that?  i guess it's bound to happen since i do my best creating at night before i go to bed.

i only wish that i had taken pics of my process.  i hope to remember to do it next time.  a glimpse into how i create, and my thought processes. 

i'm excited to show you these two pieces, because I really love them.  i felt good and confident when creating these and i think that feeling is expressed in the final piece.  being brave and forging ahead.  are they done, you ask?  perhaps.  i'll let you know in the morning!  lol.

yay! saturday, i love you,

happy weekend all,

france

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Your pieces are nice and I totally understand that "feeling" after you finish a piece. I call the process after I'm finished the "stare stage". There is always some little brush stroke I want to add.

carlanda said...

beautiful francesca!