Friday, March 11, 2011

working through the ugly

oil, in moleskine journal

acrylic on watercolour paper

i had a very (unusually) quiet house last night.  dom took the kids to an inpromptu visit to their grandmothers house, which left me all alone to my own devices!  it didn't take me long to slam the door shut, and at break neck speed run to my room with all my paints and supplies.  nothing makes me more giddy than a quiet house and a couple of hours to indulge in my favorite past time.  painting.  sigh. 

i'm determined to keep painting until i start truely liking the results.  and therefore i must remind myself to keep painting through the ugly.  i know it's a matter of practice, and learning what works for me, in terms of brushes, and products.  not to mention to continue painting to establishing my own style.

what i find most difficult is when taking a course, or when you admire another artists work it is difficult not to create something that looks like 'their' work.  i have to remind myself the importance of trying out their techniques and styles as a learning exercise, but to then take those techniques to a new level, by making them unique to me, and establishing my own style.  and how do you establish your own style.  by painting and creating. a lot. 

i know what i like.  i know what i want to create.  i can see it in my minds eye.  and i'm working on translating that vision into my art work. 

in this post i must give a shout out to a few artists who's work i've been admiring lately:

Pam Carriker:  the daily sketches of portraits she's been producing of late just blow me away. very inspiring.

Jesse Reno:  incredible works that make my head spin (in delight, not in an exorcist kinda way).

and last but not least

Flora Bowley:  i tried to get into her class at the fall session of Squam this September, but it was full.  so upset about that.

HAPPY FRIDAY,  woohhooooo

France

No comments: