Tuesday, November 2, 2010

ABC Wednesday : P


Jackson Pollock

Photographer Hans Namuth extensively documented Pollock's unique painting techniques.
Birth namePaul Jackson Pollock
BornJanuary 28, 1912
Cody, WyomingU.S.
DiedAugust 11, 1956 (aged 44)
Springs, New York, U.S.
NationalityAmerican
FieldPainter
TrainingArt Students League of New York
MovementAbstract expressionism
PatronsPeggy Guggenheim
Influenced byThomas Hart BentonPablo Picasso


FACT:  Pollock's No. 5, 1948 became the world's most expensive painting, when it was sold privately to an undisclosed buyer for the sum of $140, 000, 000.  The previous owner was film and music producer David Geffen.  It is rumoured that the current owner is a German businessman and art collector.




Pollock introduced the use of liquid paint.  He used paint pourings as one of several techniques on canvases.  He began painting with his canvases laid out on the studio floor, and he developed what was later called his 'drip' technique.  He used hardened brushes, sticks, and even basting syringes as paint applicators.  Pollock's technique of Pouring and dripping paint is thought to be one of the origins of the term action painting.  In this way Pollock challenged the Western tradition of using easel and brush.  He also moved away from the use of only the hand and wrist, since he used his whole body to paint.   Time magazine dubbed Pollock, 'Jack the Dripper' as a result of his unique painting style.



Now, get out your canvas, get out your liquid fluid paints, and a turkey baster, and let the magic begin.  Ready, set go.  Meet you back here when you're done.  Would love to see your version of the 'drip' technique.  ok?


Francesca

13 comments:

Leslie: said...

Not being artistic in any way, I think I might be able to give this method a try. But do I have enough room? I hear his paintings are enormous! Great post for our P day!

Sylvia K said...

Terrific post for the P Day! I'm definitely not artistic at all, either, but I am fascinated by Jackson Pollacks works! Wish I had the courage to this a try!! Hope your week is going well! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Gramma Ann said...

That is Art? Not my kind of Art. I like to know what I am seeing. Oh Well, to each his own. I can't even draw stick people, but maybe this would work for me. hehe

photowannabe said...

Interesting technique. Not particularly my style but very interesting to read about the artist. Thats a lot of money for a splash of paint.

Paula Scott said...

I have wanted to do a large scale version of the kinetic technique that he (Jackson) has been credited with.
His wife was a very gifted artist too.
The materials he used were also a art conservationist's worst nightmare as he often used household paint which is not particularly archival.
Great choice for "P"!

ρομπερτ said...

Thank you for introducing this fine artist. Very interesting to read and see indeed. Please have a peaceful Wednesday.

daily athens

Roger Owen Green said...

Saw a movie about him a few years back. Interesting guy, but I'm not sure that I "get" his art.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Gayle said...

I enjoy being exposed to all kinds of art, even if I don't quite undertand the value of some. Even so, credit is due to Pollock for bringing this type of art to light.

Rajesh said...

Amazing personality.

Francisca said...

I am not a great fan of Pollock's art, nor of the man. But I was stunned to learn in Matthew May's book "In Pursuit of Elegance" that Pollock was able to grasp the symmetry of beauty such that his paintings are fractals: the universal organizing principle of nature discovered by Mandelbrot two decades after Pollock's death in 1956. So his paintings were not just a haphazard flinging of paint on canvas. Good P post.

Francesca Di Leo said...

awesome feedback folks, thanks for visiting and commenting.. love hearing about everyone's take on Pollock. good stuff.

Tumblewords: said...

Terrific post! I tried this a few times, on a smaller scale however! But I doubt mine would sell for more than a buck fifty. :)

Beverley Baird said...

We both had Pollock - you tho have included so much great info! Love the video! Loved the movie by Ed Harris!