Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Ex 2010

On Saturday afternoon, we made the trek to the Canadian National Exhibition. It's a ritual of Canadian life that every year before the labour day long weekend, you make a visit to a.k.a. 'The Ex', to us Canucks.

The ex was an integral part of my life growing up. It was something we waited for every single year. And even though my mom had to scrounge her money every year, she somehow managed to take us. We may not have had a lot of money, but she always made sure we got all the sweet treats that the ex had to offer, cokes, pizza, cotton candy, candy apples, and lots of tickets to go on rides. The polar express; the merry-go-round; the haunted house; the fun house; and play some games for prized, the ever famous birthday game! Laugh. We never really won anything though.

I remember the excitement of waiting in lines to go on the rides. I'll never ever forget riding the polar express. The spinning backwards at ultra top speed, the guy yelling into the microphone, 'you wanna go faster', and the dance music set at 10000 decibals added to the adrenaline rush. The Polar Express was ALWAYS the first ride we'd go on. And so as tradition has it, it was the first ride we went on last year, and again this year. I took video of Max, Xavier and Domenic as they went on it, I had to stay back because Elisa is still too little for it. It must be the same guy, cause they're still yelling out, 'you wanna go faster?', and the music was piped up reallly really loud. Such sweet memories.

Here's me (having managed to fix my favorite, cheap, broken sun glasses! lol). Thanks to my iphone4 I no longer have to carry my big honking Canon to these events.

Max, my nephew came with us. Where ever Max is, you'll find Elisa. She's attached at his hip when he's around. She just adores her big cousin. And what melts my heart is, he adores her back. It's a good thing.

The two munchkins waiting for their dad as he got the ride tickets. All day passes which meant they could go on all the rides however many times they wanted. And they sure took advantage of that.
Here's my favorite ride and memory of all time. The Polar Express. It's still in the same spot, has the same sign, all the same everything from as far back as I can remember.

And here is a ride that I will never EVER go on. I just can't imagine swinging all the around like that up there. I'd probably faint from fright. I wouldn't let Xavier go on this one. It just freaks me out too much. But it sure does make for a pretty picture.

And my little Elisa. On her favorite ride. The merry-go-round. She's such a little dare-devil. I've never seen such a kid without fear. She knows no fear. She would have gone on all the rides, if they'd have let her. She went on this, the tilt-a-whirl, the ferris wheel, the ultra big slide, the fun house, and the mirrored maze. She couldn't get enough of it.

I did let them however, go on the ferris wheel, but I made Dom go with them. Max opted out of this one. I don't blame him. Xavier was scared the higher it went, and even Dom got the heebie-jeebies, but Elisa, she was up there putting her hand up in the air and yelling, "wheeee". Dom kept trying to keep his arm around her, and she kept yelling at him to let her go. Hilarious. At the end, she said, 'again daddy'.. NOT.

Here she is just having gotten on the ride giving the peace sign. Now where in the world did she learn to do that I'll never know. But it sure made me and Max laugh.


I love the signage and how nothing changes. It's that vintage, carnival feel. Images that lay imprinted in your brain.

This is the entrance. And again, not much has changed about it. I just hope that our kids have fond memories of the exhibition, and the tradition carries on.

It was a blast. The kids had a fabulous time. Adios Ex, we'll see ya again next year. Same time, same place, same rides. It's a good thing.

And I'll leave you with a fun clip of the ride on the ferris wheel. I tried uploading the video of the Polar Express but my computer won't allow it. Not sure why.




Happy Sunday
Francesca

No comments: