Thursday, September 17, 2009

Background Frenzy

I went out the other day and bought me some new Golden acrylic paint colours, and some molding paste. I've been inspired by the very creative Dina Wakley who is an avid scrapbooker and mixed media artist. I found her blog and instantly fell in love with her work. It was this that spurred me on to purchase one of her downloadable classes, Art Journaling 101.

I really wasn't sure what to expect, as I've purchased a few other downloadable classes and hadn't been too impressed. I didn't expect to nearly fall off my chair when reading this class (which also comes with video tutorials as well). It was what I was hoping to find and learn how to do. It was like an epiphany. So this is how it's done. And this is how I get started. And wow. Holy smokes. Gorgeous. This is what I kept saying througout the whole time reading her class.

That night I went to bed and nearly stayed up all night, my head burting and full of ideas. It was what sparked the shopping spree at good 'ol De Serres, hence the new paint and moulding paste.

The next night I again stayed up all night, in my scrap room, aka basement, and just created backgrounds, one after the other. It came easily and my spirit was soaring. It was 12:30am and I was on a high. I haven't felt that kind of joy creating in such a long time. And it felt good.

I let them dry thoroughly, and the next night I painted them all with my NEW Golden acrylic paints. Gorgeous. They are so gorgeous. I almost want to leave them as is and not do anything further with them, but I think I will art journal, or scrap over them.

To view details, click on image to display a close up

The violet page is one of my favorites. I could have just used gesso to make the impressions but I wanted it to be bold and raised to give it more depth and dimension. On the yellow/green page I used my stamps to make impressions in the modeling paste... love the effect - lower case alphabets on the left edge (Making Memories) and butterflys on the right edge (prima).

I've quasi completed one scrap page using one of the backgrounds, which I'll post as soon as it's done. I'm working on a challenge, "to make something that represents me, incorporating the use of inchies into my project".
In the meantime, not sure if the scan will actually capture the details of the pages, but I'll post them anyway... if they're really crappy, I'll take some pics and get some great close-ups..


To view details, click on image to display a close up
The teal has the uppercase alphas by Making Memories stamped into it. And the orange, oh what a beautiful burst of colour. I made more, lots more. But don't like the image quality so I'll wait to take some really good pics of these. They deserve proper display-age!!!
Dina, I'm sure you're not reading this, but if you are, THANK YOU so much for the inspiration and for sharing your awesome talent through these on-line classes. It's made a world of a difference for me.

Have a great day one and all,

Francesca

1 comment:

Dina said...

Those are fantastic, girl!! You are rockin' it... :) Thanks for your kind words, so glad you like the class!