Thursday, June 11, 2009

What do Moleskines, Pill Boxes, Recylce Bags and Art Journaling Have in Common?

Why, me, of course! These were my grand finds from my excursion to our local bookstore.

Today I visited the university bookstore. I had this craving to buy books. Books on art really, or to be more specific, on art history. There were so many gorgeous books that I couldn't pick just one, and at the prices they were selling for I couldn't afford more than just one. So, I put them all back and continued to look around. It's such an awesome bookstore. All kinds of nifty stuff to buy.

This nifty bag caught my eye immediately. Made by Lela Lee of Angry Little Girls. Even if it weren't so cute, I would have bought it just cause I love the brand name! You have to check out her site:

Then, this nifty little pill box caught my eye! Vintage cover - Soooo adorable. I'm going to have to take some meds, so I can actually fill 'er up and use it. Laugh. Mother's little helper indeed!


My next find made my heart pitter, patter. What I managed to find, to my sweet surprise, were Moleskine journals. I bought three black, and three plaine journals, 7 1/2" x 10", 120 plain pages each.












I'm so excited, I'd been meaning to purchase these at our local art supply store, so when I saw them at the bookstore, I nearly jumped for joy!

As per the leaflet, "The history of the Moleskine notebook is a legendary one. It is the notebook used by European artists and thinkers for the past two centuries, from Van Gogh to Picasso, from Ernest Hemingway to Bruce Chatwin. This trusty, pocket-size travel companion held sketches, notes, stories and ideas before they were turned into famous images or pages of beloved books.

They were originally produced by small French book-binders. They then stopped producing them in 1986, "le vrai voleskine n'est plus". In 1998, a small Milanese publisher brought Moleskine back again."

I'm certainly not a 'real' artist, in the true sense of the word, but I love to write, I love to draw, I love colour, and I love paper. In addition, give me some patterned paper, and some glue, and boy, I become the artist that is 'me'.

Next I bought, a book called, "What It Is", by Lynda Barry. A book on creative methods that are playful, powerful, and accessible to anyone with an inquisitive wish to write and remember. She incorporates colour drawings, comics, collages, and autobiographical sections and gentle creative guidance.












A great source of inspiration for work that I'll be enjoying in my new Moleskines..

Funny, how things just come together. Love when that happens.

Have a great night. I'm off to bed. Yawnnnnnn.

Francesca

p.s. I'm taking a course on How to Use Copic Markers, 101. Laugh. No really, I am. More on this later. Thanks to Pam Garrison, and her gorgeous journals!

No comments: