Sunday, May 24, 2009

Kahlo and Dali

My two very favorite books. I bought these years ago and read and reread them over and over. The Diary of Frida Kahlo, and The Secret Life of Salvador Dali:

The Diary of Frida Kahlo. It documents the last ten years of her turbulent life covering the years from 1944 - 1954. Wow. What a woman. What a life. What an awesome artistic ode to her life. Her art is haunting and literally speaks to you. If you're into art journaling, this book is definitely a must have. It ranks #1 for me. I love her art. I found out about her after buying some prints that I had laminated for my living room (about 4 of them) from the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO). I love his work, his murals are so full of life and vibrant colours. Makes you just wanna jump into the world he's created. It wasn't till I learned about his wife, Frida that I was introduced to her world.

Salvador Dali is another awesome artist - wacko! He's the most eccentric, crazy, imaginative, creative spirit ever. I fell in love with his work while in high school (a verrrry long time ago, smile). I'd forgotten about this book I had which documents all the crazy stunts he pulled, and all the crazy shananagins called his life. His life was as surreal as his painting, and just as intriguing. Another really awesome read. That's if you like eccentric, crazy, neurotic, imaginative artists, like himself. Laugh. Think I'll give this another read.
Off to enjoy some reading time with a hot cup of tea on the verandah and enjoy the last little bit of the weekend!
Good night everyone..
And if you have any suggestions for more good reads, please do post and tell... smile.
Francesca

No comments: