Wednesday, April 22, 2009

EARTH DAY AND BABY SEN

Let me introduce to you my new baby, Baby Sen.

Before you go any further, please watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFIal24X9Nk&feature=player_embedded

He's a 2 1/2 years old Orangutan. He was born and lives in Borneo, and currently being rehabilitated at the Sepilok Rehabilitation Centre. Sen was found in the forest, tied to a tree and left for dead. Apparently, the Orangs are being killed because they forage on the palm oil plants plantation. They're considered pests. Imagine. My heart just breaks for these beautiful, soulful animals. We're treading on their territory and killing them in the process. What is wrong with this world. So cruel, inhumane and heartless.

Needless to say, Sen was saved, as are many others that are brought to the rehab centre an organization to prevent the extinction of this very precious, and beautiful species. I can't imagine a world without orangs in it! My ultimate most favorite-est species on this planet. If I didn't study archaeology I would have majored in anthropology (social) and would have lived with the apes in the forest studying them and trying hard to preserve their habitats and longevity. Fate had it, that I wouldn't do either. But somehow, it's managed to find it's way back into my life.




A co-worker of mine, make the trek to Borneo as a volunteer every summer to work at the rehab centre, literally taking care of baby orangs that are orphaned. They're taken care of and then eventually, on a gradual process, brought back to the forest. Charmaine took these photos of Sen, and she was the one who bought him his little onesie and little dollie and nurtured him. She is going back again this July for a month to do the same thing, and will take additional photos of my little Sen for me as an update.


I will be visiting the site to adopt my little Sen. It'll be my contribution to human-kind. They are our closest (genetically speaking) relative in the animal world.


And it being EARTH DAY there is no better time to start doing this.

My way of living out a dream vicariously through Charmaine.

Thanks Char, for this opportunity.

And if anyone else out there loves orangutans as much as we do, please visit the Orangutan Appeal UK site to donate or adopt an orangutan.
Happy Earth Day everyone!
Francesca

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went to Borneo in 2009 and my family began sponsoring Sen as well =)