Sunday, March 15, 2009

My Babies Remembered

Here is my response to creative therapy catalyst #53, "Create a piece of art around a memory or occasion that has no photos."


I have wanted to do this for a very long time, and this prompt has given me the perfect opportunity to finally create something concrete for a time in my life that I have no photos for.

I never really knew how to do this, but creating a page dedicated to this time is the perfect opportunity for me to finally make it real. Finally document what could have been. Document something that many people do not know about me. Finally, document it, to prove that it happened, they existed, they were real and not just a figment of my imagination.

They deserve to be remembered. They deserve their memeory to be preserved. My babies deserve to be remembered, and their memory recorded. My two babies I miscarried. One at 12 weeks, another at 10 weeks. The two most incredibly difficult times in my life. To be so excited about being pregnant, and to have it all snatched away, and to never know why. It's awful. What made it even more difficult was not having any photos of my pregnancy, let alone any ultrasound photos.

Now when I think back, not having any photos, it's almost like it never happened. What babies? There's no proof of them, no record of them, no tombstone that I can go to to grieve. But they did exist and not just in my imagination. They were real. They lived in my belly. They were my babies regardless of what people say. This has been very cathartic for me. I have finally given my babies a place to be, a place to exist, a place I can visit to remember. It was real. If only for a short time.

Thanks for looking.
Items used: ArtChix Studio collage (eggs), and wings; Tim Holtz paper (blue background), distress ink, distress glitter, crackle paint; Martha Stewart alhas; old book pages; Deserres canvas inchies; glass glitter; Jenny Bowling pp; sheet music.

Francesca

1 comment:

Sonia said...

Love this work. Great Job.

**Sony**