Sunday, February 1, 2009

London Calling

In response to Creative Therapy, Catalyst #47, "When was the last time you were up all night?"
I could have said: the time my son was sick and I stayed up all night watching him; the time I was home alone and scared to death; when my kids were babes and had colic; but I thought it would be more fun to tell ya about my fun time in London when I was a mere 23 years old!
London is truly a city that does not sleep, and nor did we whilst there!!!
Oh sweet memories of my three weeks spent in England. Right after convocation, July 1994, after earning my Honours B.A., some friends and I took a plane out of Toronto straight for England.
We went on an archaeological dig at Bignor Roman Villa, in Sutton, West Sussex England. We studied with the likes of Anthony Clarke (the grandfather of geophysics). We got to work with a magnatometer, a tool used by archaeologists to literally, 'see beneath the earth'. With trowels hanging out our back pockets, we spent a glorious week doing what we had only dreamed of doing. We had Luke as one of our instructors who literally had us in stitches so much, we barely did any real work. We stayed with Lizzy at her Bed and Breakfast...and her two dogs, and Siamese cat (and the daddy long legs that visited us whilst in the shower). We'd drive out to 'town' with Luke in the 'FUN BUS', aka the Field Archaeology Unit van, and have dinner, drink a beer (or two), and laughed the night away.
We then went to London for one week and stayed at a hotel right in the heart of Picadilly Circus. What a blast. We did all the touristy things like visiting, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, The National Gallery, The British Museum, feeding the pigeons, and even the local hospital after getting some 'grit' in my eye!! Totally a blast.
After that week in London we took a train back to Amberly Station, got a ride in the 'fun bus' back to Sutton and to Lizzy's B&B for another week of instruction at Bignor Roman Villa, "Geophysical Prospecting Methods".
At the end of our three week stay I couldn't tell you how sad I was to leave. I literally fell in love with London, the people, the sights, with all of it. I cried on the plane home and was literally miserable for months after. It took me a while to get over it.
Happy day everyone!
Francesca


No comments: