Friday, August 8, 2008

Rescued Works From Childhood







Isn't that the most hilarious thing you have ever read? Funny how things just all of a sudden come together. I made this document when I was 9 years old, in grade 3. Even at the tender age of 9, I was scrapbooking. So in retrospect, I've been scrapbooking for 28 years, unbeknownst to me! Even at the age of 9 journaling, documenting, writing, and fact finding was important to me.


Funny enough I was reading the Toronto Craft Alert blog and lo and behold there is a call for submissions for Rescued Works From Childhood, to be published by Firefly Books. It felt like this is what this little book about me was waiting for. Waiting patiently for someone to want to publish it! So needless to say, it's been submitted. Whether it get chosen for publication is a whole other thing.



I love everything about this document: It's tattered, it's worn, the innocence of the handwriting, the spelling and grammar mistakes, and the randomness of the facts I chose to write. It's so telling of what I've become as an adult, and of what's important to me. I'm so thrilled that my mother hung on to this for me. And something I plan to do for my kids with their school work. It also tells so much of the times I was living in. At 9 I was watching Knots Landing and Dallas!!!! How hilarious is that. I loved Coke, and money!!! And my favorite star was John Travolta (after all I did see Urban Cowboy at the movie theatre twice). Smile. Nothing much has changed, except I now watch reality shows and Oprah. Laugh.



Feels like another layout idea coming on....



I've been uninspired to do anything creative these past few days. I need a couple of days off from scrapping to get my juices flowing. I need to spend some time with my kids, do some reading, tending to my beautiful garden, taking some pictures, and just enjoy the last few weeks of summer that we have left.



One thing that is at the very top of my list is giving my 95 pound white German Sheppard, Samson a bath. He's stinky and his fur is looking grayish! Poor dog, don't think he's had a bath in years! I think I'll end up more soaked and soggy that he will. He's such a big galoot.



He's our furry baby.... "yan yan" as Elisa calls him.


Have a wonderful, happy day everyone!



Francesca

No comments: